Hello my dears,
It’s been some time since I’ve last written. You might be asking what I’ve been doing since my last post, well I can tell you that I’ve been getting ready for my move across the pond. It’s official, I will be leaving in early September to begin a very new adventure in my life. I’ve moved back to the ‘burbs and that in and of itself has been its own adventure.
After many years of being carless and living in the big city, I forgot how much road rage I have! It’s been terrible. If you’ve never experienced traffic in the DC area, consider your self lucky. It’s ridiculous. My family home is less than 10 miles from the heart of downtown but it still takes me over an hour to drive into work on a good day. NOT COOL BRO.
Additionally, I miss the ability to go where I want without a car. Before I could just walk out the door and be at a store within a fews minutes walk, now it’s a 10 minute drive and I still can’t find what I’m looking for. Ugh, I’m sorry for complaining. I just detest driving.
Must make it through the month,
Our office allows staff to work from home. It really depends who your boss is though because it isn’t consistent across the board. Three of the four people on my team work from home one day a week. I have yet to ask my boss about having a work from home day, but I had the pleasure of having two work from home days recently.
I was dog sitting for my sister and instead of making the two hour commute one way I was granted permission to stay here and work. I absolutely love working from home! I wouldn’t want to do it full time, but two days a week is awesome. The fact that I can sleep later, take a quick shower and change into yoga pants is amazing. I found myself the first day staying glued to my computer, but then I remembered…I don’t stay glued to my computer when I’m in the office so I can take breaks to use the restroom or make a snack.
Yes I have the television on in the background when I’m not on a call, but that really is the only minimal distraction (and I really am great at doing work/watching tv at the same time). I find myself constantly getting distracted at the office from the boss hollering over the wall to ask a question or the occasional random conversation about life with my co-workers or running to the bathroom and having a ten minute conversation with the person you pass in the hallway. So I’ve decided this is the life! I love it! Now, how do I ask my boss to get my work from home day on a weekly basis?
I’m sure I get more done than two of the four people on my team when they work from home. They use their work from home days for doctor appointments, weight watchers meetings, lunch dates, etc. I suppose that is their prerogative and if they are getting their work done, I really can’t complain. I just want to join in on the working from home phenomenon.
I bought a condo that needed a lot of cosmetic work. Why did I do that? Because my father and sister assured me it wouldn’t be too bad to make it look nice! Well it has been hard getting time committed from people to work on the condo based on my schedule and their schedules. Why is everyone just as busy as I am?
Thankfully, the Penguin has been by my side every step of the way. He has been a HUGE help and has put up with my type A/organization/perfectionism/snippiness/etc. Surprisingly, he said I’ve been just fine through this whole ordeal and that if he was doing this with his ex, he would have left a long time ago…so that made me feel TEN TIMES better!
There is nothing worse then knowing you have been a little bitchy and irritable with your loved one. So it was reassuring that he wasn’t made at me, didn’t think twice about my attitude and still wants to be with me after a home renovation. Cause let me tell you, all that work, can really test a gals nerves.
Have you ever been in a situation where you have questioned your reaction to a situation and the way you took it out on your lover? I’d love to hear about it and how you confronted the person about your actions!
You might remember how I raved about Volt- a restaurant in Frederick owned by Bryan Voltaggio. Well that isn’t the only hidden gem in Frederick. Frederick is actually an amazing city for food. The city strives to develop and support small business by keeping chains out of downtown.
My sister and I bought a Groupon for a Food Tasting & Cultural Walking Tour through Taste of Frederick Food Tours in order to experience Frederick in its fullest! We had a great time learning about the city and also experiencing six different food venues. I highly recommend everyone go out there and do this tour! The gal knew her stuff!
1. Brewer’s Alley– 1634 ale (signature brew) and margherita pizza
2. Firestone’s Market on Market– pastrami sandwich (this pastrami is to die for), we also went back and picked up so groceries- I got a pimento cheese spread and a dressing, both of which are delicious
3. Tiki Room at Griff’s Landing– crab mac-n-cheese pop, scallop wrapped with bacon and hush puppies; they also have two signature drinks….one which comes in a fish bowl, is blue and has swedish fish in it!
4. The Wine Kitchen– grilled asparagus salad and fried green tomatoes; they have some great happy hour specials, good deals on bottled wines and a tasty brunch menu (3 items for $25)
5. North Market Pop Shop– several different old school sodas aka pop; you can mix any soda with any ice cream to make yourself a float!
6. Zoe’s Chocolate– baklava chocolate and carmel chocolate; now I don’t like chocolate…but these were amazing!
So go! The tour takes 3 hours and is definitely worth it!
How does that happen? How does ones calendar become booked months in advance with not one weekend free? This is also why I have been slacking with writing blogs. I closed on my condo July 3rd and every free moment I have had has been working on getting the condo prepared for me to move in!
So a little catch up on what I’ve been doing since my last post earlier this month….
1. Condo painting and prepping (before and after pictures to come in a later post)
2. Moving my stuff (has anyone recognized this has been one HOT summer and moving stuff up and down two flights of stairs in a house with no central air is miserable)
3. J has been making me do all sorts of touristy things before she leaves the country! Corcoran Museum, Hiking at Great Falls, Nationals Game, Jazz in the Garden just to name a few!
4. I cut off 8 inches of my hair….and I’m still not sure if I like!
5. Trying not to have my life consumed by condo stuff, and maintain some sense of fun with my family and the Penguin.
I spend my time day dreaming by looking at my calendar into my future which is scattered with weddings, trips, penciled in local outings, work obligations and so much more! When will life ever slow down? Or is this the new normal? I must say, I have gotten much better at not scheduling things during the week!
Do you know how many paint colors exist in this world? It’s absurd how may options are out there! I went to the store today to pick out samples so once I get the keys to my place, I can put them up on the walls and test them out! I’m known for picking out bad colors so I am hoping taking these steps will ensure I get colors I like.
The samples I picked out are below. Let me know what you think!